Thursday, May 6, 2010

Crofting


This is my favorite time of the year for many reasons. But one big reason is I'm finally able to get my linens out on the grass. Sunning or crofting is by far the best way to get linens clean. It's safe, easy, and inexpensive.

Women have been crofting for centuries. And even with all the new laundry detergents and spot removers I have found it the best method in stain removal.

I just soak my linens, rinse well, and on a sunny day, just lay them flat on the grass (print side down). Keeping them wet helps the process. Usually only takes a day. If a stain or two persists, I'll croft for another day. Once they pass my inspection, a quick hand wash and out on the line it goes for a gentle drying.

And then comes ironing....OH I love that too!

6 comments:

  1. oooooh, my dogs would LOVE if I did that!!! lol...I love the smell of laundry dried on the line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never have much luck with this for vintage linens but that soak stuff takes care of the stains in a snap. So glad to have found it.

    Have a beautiful Mother's Day.
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Holly~

    I've been doing this for years but never heard the term "CROFTING" before! Glad I know what to call it. . . . usually I say my linens are working on getting a tan :)

    P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to iron, too. My friends think I am crazy. Hugd, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, am so happy when you get your warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first time that I have ever heard of crofting. Wow! That is so neat.
    And, ironing.....I can't say that I share that love with you.
    I remember wanting to iron so badly as a child. Finally when I was tall enough, I got to iron Dad's handkerchiefs. After that, I ironed for years...I have 4 brothers...nothing was wrinkle proof in those days. Now, I iron once in a blue moon.
    hugs
    ANDREA

    ReplyDelete